Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A Rose - Four Years of Blogging

Today marks four years of daily blogging AND painting. Four and half years ago I decided if I were EVER going to learn to draw and paint, I'd better get started.

There were 3 things my family told me NEVER to do: give directions (still applicable), sing (oh my, VERY applicable), and draw. But how I really wanted to keep one of those watercolor nature journals I loved!

On my bookshelf were all those wonderfully illustrated and written books about nature journaling - especially those by Cathy Johnson. "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" was a book I had owned since the 1970s!!!! And I still had not opened. But after passing my 50th birthday milestone, I figured if I were EVER going to draw, I'd had better make the plunge.

And so, 4 1/2 years ago, I picked up Betty's book and not only read it, but began the exercises, one by one. Never having art lessons either as a child or as an adult made for a lot of intimidation. I was always writing, but drawing? Nope! So I studied the book, faithfully did the exercises, and when I got to the 'turn the image upside down the spaces' exercise - and my attempt RESEMBLED the drawing -- I finally had a glimmer of hope that I could possibly learn to do this. And the passion was lit....

I kept drawing on and off for a few months; took Cathy Johnson's wonderful on-line classes - watercolor, sketching and more. And, encouraged by my friends on Flickr --- I began keeping a daily journal on line and sketching every day, no matter what. Though there are some gaps in my posting - like when I was overseas or away from home, I always sketched -- something.

And so today marks four years of doing so. Folks ask me if I ever got tired or bored or just too busy -- and I say -- 'yes' ... but having so many years behind me and far fewer in front of me before I leave this good earth -- the only way I believed I could improve my work was to devote a lot of time practicing.

I'm not nearly where I would like to be with drawing or painting - or writing for that matter. But I'll continue picking up the pencil, wetting the brushes, and learning as much as I can.

That "P" word -- PRACTICE -- well, from experience, I can only say -- it takes that -- often, frequently - and consistently.

But it also takes YOU, my Flickr friends - who have been encouraging me for these many years. And I offer this gentle rose in thanks for all you have helped me through - with your encouragement, kindness, generosity and suggestions.

My heartfelt thanks for being there with me - along this most intriguing and exciting journey!

Here's to another year! Wet Brushes -- Get Painting!

8 comments:

Claire M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Claire M said...

C.O.N.G.R.A.T.U.L.A.T.I.O.N.S on this significant and happy milestone! You are an inspiration to me to 'keep it up'. You are definitely correct that the feedback you get from sharing is a great encouragement to keep going. Have a great day basking in all that you have accomplished and in all that you can do in the future. Thank you for sharing your creative journey!!

annie said...

Congats, Lin. It makes for the best kind of living when we find a place and time in our too busy lives for what a friend of mine calls "little happy things."

And what's even more fun is that so many of u s get to share them.

annie

Teri said...

CONGRATULATIONS LIN!!

Since we started about the same time I have seen you grow and grow ad grow to the wonderful artist you are today!!!!!!!!!!!

That rose is STUNNING!!

Dana said...

You and your story are so inspiring. It seems that I am following the same path ... only a few years behind... and can only hope I will flourish as you have!
Congratulations!!

Sandy said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! And what a wonderful journal/blog it is - I bet you can sing now too!!! :-) You inspire us all!!!

Joan said...

This rose is WONDERFUL!!!! Your persistence has definitely PAID OFF!!!! Your work is amazing and inspiring. No matter what, you always paint something and stretch yourself. Congratulations on your anniversary!!!! (I'm so glad you didn't listen to your family.)

Pat said...

Congratulations!!! I am proud to have been able to find and join as many others in your quest toward daily art.