Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Hydrangeas - Patsy's Challenge

9" x 12"
Arches 140# CP

Patsy's been working on flowers and asked the floral watercolour group how we might go about painting her photo of hydrangeas (http://www.flickr.com/photos/patsyjenningsart/4961446054/). I had a bit of time before the grands came last night - and so I painted this. I took a direct approach, fairly realistic, but trying to keep the hydrangeas varied, filled with light and a bit impressionistic. The scan is a bit darker in the flowers and lighter in the glass vase area than the painting itself. Next time -- I'd like to try this a bit looser ...

It was a busy time with the grands and it's going to be a busy week. I leave for work shortly and have a meeting the moment I get there with a week filled with meetings.

Temps are returning to the mid-90s so it'll be hot -- Still no rain -- and the trees are responding with yellow leaves that are dropping a bit early this year.

Have a great day!

3 comments:

Patti G. said...

Lin, they are beautiful from tip of petal to end of leaf! LOVELY!!!!!
Hang in there with that heat!
xoxoxox
Hugs,Patti

Teri said...

Such beautiful colors and well, the whole design is great! I need to go look at this challenge.

Lorraine said...

The colors are wonderful together and what a beautiful bouquet they make. I really love that "just right" blend of realism and impressionism. Terrific painting Lin!

Try to take it easy this week.
Hugs,
Lorraine