Saturday, September 04, 2010

Season's Turning


Season's Turning
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Daily Practice
Journal Size

Dashing around town before Jodi came for our paint day, I was struck again by the changes in the landscape. Day by day the vibrancy of the trees and shrubs has been slowly fading, and yesterday I noticed a distinctive yellowing of more and more leaf color. Though September usually marks a beginning of seasonal change, the drought we have continued to experience has hastened its arrival - despite the high temperatures. Unless we get significant rain (we are down 6"), leaf drop will be early and the usual blaze of color will be a mere memory.

Still, this painting was done from a photo I took when I stopped by our local library yesterday. A water collection ditch runs along its side and so perhaps it has had a bit more moisture than other parts of our landscape. Behind me is a large collection of cattails, but this small field was chock-full of wonderful textures, colors, and all sorts of wild plants. I've enhanced the quantity of the Queen Anne's Lace ...and most of those were brown - but here and there, tiny white daisylike flowers made a showing, along with yellow tickseed. Looking at view though, one would never guess you were standing in a parking lot! LOL

Jodi and I had a relaxing day ... watched an art DVD, painted, ate more of C's scrumptious gelato, and even got a chance to remove seeds from dried purple coneflower heads while we sat on the porch! My tea olive is in bloom again, and its sweet fragrance kept us company while we worked!

It's a three-day weekend as we celebrate Labor Day on Monday! Today I will play a bit in the garden as the weeds are having a good time depite the lack of rain .... and it's time to cut back the spent flowers and stalks.

Hope your weekend is terrific!

3 comments:

Lorraine said...

So lovely Lin -- I love all the varied colors and shades in the foliage and trees and especially the hints of warmer colors among the greens. And the way you "enhanced" the Queen Anne's Lace set it off to perfection.

We had a 2+ hour drive yesterday afternoon -- the weather was perfect -- and sitting in the back seat I was able to observe all the shapes and colors of the trees as we drove through the hills of KY! I especially noticed the sycamore trees amongst the darker ones. Lovely. And it made me want to paint and paint and paint.

Glad you had Jodi had such a relaxing day.
Big hugs,
Lorraine

Joan said...

I love the Queen Anne's lace peeking out through the darker foliage. It is strange to think that we are in September already, and the landscapes are changing already.

Have a great Labor Day Weekend!!

Teri said...

This is just gorgeous! It makes the coming of cold weather worth all this beauty!