Friday, February 11, 2011

Christchurch Harbor - Thank you Jen'B!

1/8 Sheet
Arches 140#CP

My thanks go to Jen'B whose wonderful capture of Christchurch Harbor (http://www.flickr.com/photos/doggone_photograhps/5418307482/) inspired this painting.

What drew me to her image was that moody blue/pink light that comes at the end of the day and which she magnificently captured, the marsh grasses, the reflections of the sky on the water .... I didn't follow her photo exactly, but drew too on my memories of the South Carolina marsh where I spent so many years raising my children. THANK YOU SO MUCH, Jen! Please keep sharing these magnificent views!

We had about 30 minutes of snow flurry yesterday - so many of our Plant a Row for the Hungry volunteers didn't make it in. For those that did, we watched a most incredible, frightening DVD "The Vanishing of the Bees" about the decline and sudden disappearance of so many honeybee populations -- HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS WORLDWIDE. If I wasn't already convinced about the importance of buying local foods, supporting our local farmers and growing foods organically, this video would certain convince me! I shared it with our volunteers so they could truly understand why we do what we do in growing food for the Food Bank and the philosophy behind our approach to gardening. See the movie it if you can! And I'll see you at the Farmer's Market!

Hope you have a great day!

2 comments:

jsicignano2.blogspot.com said...

Lin, beautiful painting. Your are a gifted colorist. I am enjoying your blog.

Joan said...

Love the feeling and the colors!!!

Michelle Obama was on Regis and Kelly the other day and was talking about the garden the White House having a beehive and a beekeeper. She said it is the first time in years that many of the trees there have flowered. We forget that such little creatures have such a big impact.

Enjoy your day! We have lots of sunshine today...sadly no time for a plein air.