Saturday, February 19, 2011

Crocus


Crocus
Originally uploaded by linfrye
1/8 Sheet
Arches 140#CP

After we cleaned the beds and gardens for the Plant A Row Project, I was walking back to my office when I spotted these crocus - their petals open and shining and raised to the sun in the warmth of the day! Their cheerful faces pulled me, like the light and warmth, into the forward movement of the seasons ...

Our temps reached mid 70s yesterday -- and I spent most of the day outdoors tackling my own garden chores ...wonderful -- but mercy was I sore afterwards! And had little time left for painting.

Still, sun, soil, tidying up all felt like an antioxident to the winter blues .... I didn't find any of my own crocus blooming - I am a half planting zone away from my office which translates into waiting about two-weeks to see those plants blooming at work finally bloom at my home. Still, I did discover the earliest green of daffodils poking thru the soil, and the buds on my sweet daphne ready to open in about 10 days ....

Now to keep fingers and toes crossed that the freezing temps of the rest of winter spare these hopeful starts ....

Have a great day!

4 comments:

annie said...

I love your yellow crocus. They give me such a lift, and seem so brave to come out in February-- even shining through the snow, sometimes...
annie

Joan said...

Love the yellows...it gives this such a wonderful warm feel!!! It was springlike here yesterday, but I don't see any flowers poking out of the small piles of snow we still have here. I can't believe you are under wildfire watch...where did all that rain go? Have a super weekend...hope the sun shines on you!

Teri said...

That is the best sign of spring I have seen. Beautiful happy yellow.

Parisbreakfasts said...

'Our temps reached mid 70s '
Oh my...
Can't decide which is more enticing -
Your crocus or the mid 70s timps
Yum Yum