Saturday, April 23, 2011

Lilacs

Lilacs by linfrye
Lilacs, a photo by linfrye on Flickr.

1/8 Sheet
Arches 140#CP

Growing up in New York, my mom had a huge lilac shrub that she doted on almost as much as her roses. She'd cut sprays of them and their heady scent would fill each room of our home.

But here in North Carolina, lilacs don't do particularly well in our very hot and humid summers -- except for one variety - Miss Kim.

Syringa pubescens subsp. patula 'Miss Kim' grows about eight feet tall and eight feet wide and very fragrant lilac/pink flowers (paler blue than these painted). It prefers sun to part shade and moist soil.

My new acquisition is still in its pot since we've had rain most of the weekend - but I think I have the perfect spot for Miss Kim .... and each time it blooms, as it's doing now, it'll be a fragrant reminder of my children -- and my mom.

Thank you again for voting!!!

http://www.communitiestakeroot.com/Plant/Index/439?brand=0

Happy Easter Saturday!

3 comments:

Teri said...

Oh beauteous! I love this painting and their aroma to heavenly. Hope they are blooming when we get back to Wis.

jsicignano2.blogspot.com said...

Hi Lin,

I do agree with Teri, it's beauteous. I too can almost smell the wonderful aroma. Happy East to you and your family.

Joan

Lorraine said...

Yesterday the comments section wasn't working so will try again today.

I love your lilacs and I too love the scent of lilacs -- white, purple, whatever color. To be beautiful and have a lovely scent is about all a flower, tree or shrub could hope for!!

I love the detail in your painting -- those tiny, delicate buds and open flowers and the beautiful branches/greenery in your new style. Luscious!!
Big hugs,
Lorraine