Monday, April 04, 2011

My Apple Tree

My Apple Tree by linfrye
My Apple Tree, a photo by linfrye on Flickr.

1/8 Sheet
Arches 140#CP

I am thrilled beyond measure that so many of my blossoms have survived the last blast of rain, wind and below freezing temps - including those of my apple tree. Though we got only a few fruits from this particular tree, the large deer populations in my neighborhood seemed to be the beneficiaries of 'the fruits of my labor!' lol

Still, there is something so breathtaking to arrive home after a long week of work and find bright pink blossoms on these gnarly trees.

I seem to be playing with different approaches to watercolor these days - my attempt here to be somewhat detailed, somewhat abstract in some areas of the painting. My husband prefers more 'detail/botanical art' - but I am enjoying more the splash and splatter of the medium while still achieving a recognizable image ....

My workweek is wonky this month with odd days off, some weekend work, and quite a number of late nights ... still, the sun is shining, we're due for another warm-up, and the flowers are cheerful ...

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Joan said...

I like the combination of the botanical looking bloom and the abstract parts. Lovely!!!

We had a touch of spring over the weekend but it seems damp and cold today. Enjoy!

jsicignano2.blogspot.com said...

Hi Lin,

Yes, I agree with Joan. It's a lovely painting.

Keep them coming!

Teri said...

Add this one to my pile of favorites (of your paintings), this is a woozier!!!!

Lorraine said...

Oh this is stunning. I, of course, love all your styles of painting but the more abstract ones really speak to me. And I really love what you are doing these days with the abstract look. This one is incredible and I love the pale lines that flow away from the blossoms -- and also those in Wednesday's violets. That's unique and I love how it carries my eye upward to the blossoms and back again.

My dearest Aunt Hazel loved apple blossoms and I so wish she were still alive to see your beautiful portrayal but I will send a link or copy to her children on May 5 which would have been her birthday. Thank you for this gorgeous reminder Lin.
Big hugs,
Lorraine