Friday, April 01, 2011

Pansy

Pansy  by linfrye Pansy , a photo by linfrye on Flickr.

Daily Practice 1/8 Sheet Arches 140#CP Despite the rain, cold and wind - the flowers seem to be making it through the roughest weather. In all our garden shops trays and flats of pansies are being offered as one way to bring spring to our landscapes. I love the wee faces on these flowers, and the colors offered - whites, yellows, purples, reds, blues, and so cheerful, especially when spring brings its rains and swings its temperatures from hot to cold. The fluctuations in weather patterns this spring has us wondering if Mother Nature is playing an April Fool's Day trick on us. While we are warming up this week, my sisters and friends up north are having another blast of snow ... mercy. And yet, the pansies we planted last fall are so cold-hardy that they make it through the coldest of winter weather and are surviving our spring heat as well. And seem to be smiling all the while .... A lesson here? Have a great day!

4 comments:

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

Gorgeous Pansy Lin... so loose and yet tells the story of those hardy cheerful flowers.

Joan said...

Perfectly wet and juicy!!! Thanks for the touch of spring to my day!

Long Island seems to have just rain...no snow (maybe soon I can put away the snow scraper).

Hope you have a great day!

Teri said...

Beautifully free and colorful! Spring for sure.

Lorraine said...

Yes, they do seem to be smiling and since I was a wee one, and my babysitter planted pansies, they've always been one of my favorites. I especially love the purple ones with yellow centers and I love to feel their velvety texture.

Lovely free and loose painting Lin, yet defined enough so that we can't mistake these gorgeous flowers. I don't remember pansies being cold weather flowers when I was younger. I guess they are a new breed? Thanks for sharing their lore with us.
Big hugs,
Lorraine