Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Violets

Violets  by linfrye
Violets , a photo by linfrye on Flickr.

9" x 12"
Arches 140#CP

One can tell spring has really taken hold no matter how cold the nights when these dainty purple flowers take over the garden.

Everywhere on my property- from the herb beds to the perennial beds to the lawn, these dainty purple pretties are dotting and brightening anywhere they grow.

This particular violet (Viola odorata) is a perennial, often used as a ground cover and spreads easily (don't I know!! LOL). The plants grow 4 to 8 inches tall and form 1- to 2-inch-diameter leaves. The plants grow best in well-drained, moist soil that is slightly acidic. The rootball can be divided, or the plant sown by seed (requires cold weather to break dormancy) and is edible.

The perky flowers can be candied, or made into tea or syrup. I've rendered them into a mild jelly. The jelly is more green than pink, and so I had to add a bit of food coloring to give the jelly a 'violet' coloring. I've read that the leaves are edible, though I've not tried them myself.

The rain has finally moved out and we're in for a warming --

Have a great day!

4 comments:

Lorraine said...

Oh how lovely Lin. The defined violets against that gorgeous lighter multicolored background -- a perfect combination. I noticed our wild violets are alive and well and the only color in our green weedy yard! Very cold here too yesterday and today but sunny so that helps a lot.
Big hugs,
Lorraine

Joan said...

Gorgeous!!! This would make a beautiful pair with the one of the apple tree you did the other day. Well done!!!

It is sunny and you can feel a bit of warmth today. I'm hoping to get out and find something in bloom before the rain starts again. Have a great day!

Sandy said...

Lin violets are one of my absolute favorite flowers, this is soooooo frame-worthy!

Teri said...

Oh so beautiful Lin. The color combination is so great together.