Saturday, April 09, 2011

Wet in Wet Treeline

Wet in Wet Treeline by linfrye
Wet in Wet Treeline, a photo by linfrye on Flickr.

1/8 Sheet
Arches 140#CP
Experiment

With the crunch of deadlines, late nights and frenzied activities, my painting time has taken a hit....and many nights these last few weeks I've had only enough time and energy for a bit of play/practice instead of attempting a completed painting. This treeline is one such practice.

My goal was to work wet into wet, create a couple of levels, and to vary those triangular tops of the trees while varying the greens.... I see only a bit of success here as those triangle tops still haunt me ... lol. I scratched into the mass to break up the 'walls' of green, and added a bit of abstract foreground for interest and depth.

Despite the static tops of the trees, there is something about this I like ... can't put my finger on it -- perhaps it reminds me of the walls of evergreens I see as I drive North Carolina roads, and the wet feeling left by the thunderstorm last night .... at any rate ... it's practice.

I hope to have a bit of rest this weekend and a bit more time to paint. A few more weeks of this intense activity, and the rest of the spring looks far less hectic.

At home, our dogwoods have opened -- and look like ballerinas among the greening trees ... so pretty. We needed the rain and it helped knock down some of that bright yellow pine pollen that has coated EVERYTHING!

Hope you get a chance to wet your brushes today!

3 comments:

Nancy Eaton said...

Wish my practice was as good as yours! I think this is glorious!

annie said...

I agree with Nancy, it IS glorious, Lin...I think what I like the best about it is the way the water flows.
The colors mingle beautifully and flow into such a lovely shape. It would be so effective as a wall painting.
annie

Teri said...

I like it I like it!! So free and easy.