Sunday, November 06, 2011

Golden Rain Tree Pods

Golden Rain Tree Pods  by linfrye
Golden Rain Tree Pods , a photo by linfrye on Flickr.

9" x 12"
Arches 140#CP

The Golden Rain Tree (Koelreuteria paniculata) is a native of Asia, growing up to 30 feet and when mature, equally wide. With compound leaves that at this season are a marvelous gold, the tree has a 'lacy' appearance. One of the most striking things about the tree is its fall production of showy yellow flowers followed by these multi-hued, long clusters of seed pots. When I saw this tree last month at Montrose Gardens, the pods were this incredible pink/tan,blue/green/brown ... not as bright, perhaps, as this painting shows in the scan, but with all those colors that just took made me gasp! Over time, the papery pods turn brown and cover a three-compartment, bladder-like structure full of seeds.As the pod dries, the compartment splits and each rolls back to reveal the seeds inside. In warm climates, this abundant seed-maker can become quite invasive. where the shorter growing season prevents formation of seed. The tree is used as a marvelous ornamental landscape additon.

I'm finding it difficult to drive this week - the colors of the leaves seemed to be just at their peek, and I'm constantly staring at their display! My head keeps turning from one vista to another and I can't seem to take in enough of the magnificence of it all!

Our weekend has been mighty cold - but there's another warm front coming in for the next few days .... teasing us into thinking winter will be delayed..... (we DO know better! LOL).

BTW, did you remember to set your clocks back an hour last night to standard time?

Hope your day is filled with the colors of autumn!

5 comments:

Lorraine said...

Oh this has to be one of your very best paintings Lin. As you know I have those similar pods we picked last summer and you've captured the shape perfectly. Incredible!! I love the colors of these and can see why they captured your attention. WOW

I didn't set the clocks back and I enjoyed that extra hour+ sleep very much LOL. My computer has not automatically reset so you can see how old it is!!

We are having a glorious sunny day here too. Enjoy it to the max as, yes, we DO know what comes after.
Big hugs,
Lorraine

Teri said...

These are beautiful Lin. I have never seen these kinds of pods.

Joan Tavolott said...

The pods look so 3D!!! Great job on this one, Lin!

We are having cooler temps, but it was warm enough for Susan and I to plein air paint sitting outdoors yesterday...as long as we were in the warm sun! Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Lorraine said...

I know I've already commented but when I looked at this again this morning I was struck again by their beauty and how realistic they are. I love love love this painting. But then I also love so many of yours.
Big hugs,
Lorraine

jsicignano2.blogspot.com said...

Oh Lin your work is truly beautiful and we are still without the beauty of the fall colors. Maybe next week. It makes my heart leap just viewing your blog and great work.

All the best to you,
Joan