Saturday, November 05, 2011

Last of the Basil

Last of the Basil by linfrye
Last of the Basil, a photo by linfrye on Flickr.

9" x 12"
Arches 140#CP

Fall weather has claimed almost all my flowers - but a few, especially those closest to the house and somewhat protected by south facing walls - still rally on a bit longer. My cinnamon basil is chock-full of seeds arranged in spires of rich purple that stand tall against leaves turning a fading yellow with smudges of purple. Once basil has bloomed, the energy of the plant goes into producing and protecting the next generation, thus,the leaves haven't the same rich flavor as they did in the summer. Still, those seedheads make a wonderful dried arrangement - as well as stores for next year's crop.

I was honored to be interviewed by Leslie Panfil from Hubpages:

http://lpanfil.hubpages.com/hub/artistlinfrye

She also did an interview earlier with another flickr friend, Bev Morgan:

http://lpanfil.hubpages.com/hub/artistbeverlymorgan

Take a look if you get a chance.

Our orchard planting is coming along. The holes have been dug, trees and irrigation supplies received, invitations sent .... Tuesday's the big day so our fingers are crossed for good weather.

Here in the US we change our clocks tonight - turning them back one hour to 'standard time' - which will give us more daylight in the morning hours (good especially for school children waiting on street corners for school buses) - but will mean early evening darkness - Hard to believe how swiftly time is flying...

Charles has a performance today at one of our local craft shows so I'll take some photos for his blog and see what's new at the show - especially with the holidays around the corner.

Hope your day is great!

4 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

Beautiful contrasts make this really stand out. I will have to check out the interview. Have a great autumn day. I'm heading out to paint soon.

Clare said...

Oh Lin, You never fail to surprise & inspire me. This is so beautiful. My basil is just beginning to grow and is promising a lovely summer.

Lorraine said...

Lovely painting. I've never seen Basil in that state. Alas, that wonderful pot you bought for me didn't survive the cats! But it was delicious while it lasted.

When I first saw your painting I thought it was lavender so thanks for the botany lesson.

Bravo on the interview! I hope it brings you more into the limelight for you so deserve it!

Hugs,
Lorraine

Teri said...

So pretty. I love the bits of purple.