Monday, November 14, 2011

Purple Pansies

Purple Pansies by linfrye
Purple Pansies, a photo by linfrye on Flickr.

9" X 12"
Arches 140#CP

Despite the cold and frosty nights, these purple pansies are still peeking out from the leaf litter and adding a violet element to all the fall golds and reds. What I love most about pansies is not only their bright colors, but mercy, are they ever hardy! I planted these in early summer - and they've survived drought, torando, hurricane, hard, pounding rain, and now the first bit of frost. They won't last much longer -- but their seeds will be strewn wily nily around the property, and I'll probably find some of these purple pretties in the lawn, across to the vegetable beds, and hopefully, in other spots in my 'wild' flower garden. Whatever, it will be a marvelous surprise!

Today I begin my weeklong classes with Freeman Beard (fbeardart.com/). I'm looking forward to this week of art immersion as well as looking at landscapes with a 'new' eye. It should be fun -

Temps this week are on the rise again, teasing us once more with the last sighs of fall. Leaves are drying now, so when the wind blows, there's a wonderful rustling melody to the ear. Underfoot, the drying leaves have a definite CRUNCH, and in the mornings, wood smoke evokes feelings of warmth and coziness.

There is so much sensuosity to this season ... tart apples, brilliant leaves, wood smoke, crunching foliage, the nip of frost ....

And always, the fleeting nature of it all ...

Catch it while we can!

5 comments:

Laura Sanz Masdeu said...

Lovely work! beautifull pansies, congratulations!

Lorraine said...

Oh I love the purple ones so much but then I love the yellow with purple middles too. Yours are lovely as always and a nice reminder that spring will come again!

Enjoy your class. I know you will learn a new way of looking at your wonderful landscapes and we will be treated with every more gorgeous art!
Hugs,
Lorraine

Joan Tavolott said...

Wonderful rich colors in this, Lin! Hope you have a great time at the class. How great that you're taking a workshop! Can't wait to see what you do.

I posted a painting from yesterday of Sunken Meadow. I hope you don't miss it.

jsicignano2.blogspot.com said...

Lovely painting Lin. Love pansies and you captured the beauty of this delicate flower. Enjoy your class.

Teri said...

Wowzers! GORGEOUS!