Friday, January 13, 2012

Landscape - Season's Light

Landscape - Season's Light by linfrye
Landscape - Season's Light, a photo by linfrye on Flickr.

9" x 12"
Arches 140#CP

When I was in New York with my mom and sisters, I spent most of my days in the hospital with mom. When she slept, I'd sit in the break room that happened to be across from her bed, so I could keep an eye on her room while not disturbing her with any of my own activity. I found a work of art on the wall across from the seat I typically occupied ...and as time permitted, used it to inspire this work. I could never make out the artist's name, but what appealed to me about it was the seasonal light. It spoke to me of hope, warm weather, and yet the turning of the seasons.

And so, bit by bit, I painted, and with the act of painting, wove the hopes and prayers for my mom, and hope for another season of her life. She's improving daily, and I know that each time I view this image, it'll bring me right back to that room, right back to the memories of this particular season.

It's funny how the act of capturing a certain time, scene, or feeling in words or images can have such emotional attachments. I suppose that is what 'art' is all about ...and I'm grateful for it.

3 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

This reminds me so much of the vistas at the arboretum. I love the light and the sense of warmth it gives. Nicely done!!! Great to hear that your mom is improving!!! Enjoy your day!

Lorraine said...

Oh Lin, your painting is so lovely and one can tell it is filled with light and emotion. I especially love the blue spruce on the left side but then I'm a blue spruce/white birch nut! The light filtering through the trees on the right is gorgeous and I also love the misty mountains/hills in the background.

I'm so glad this brings you peace and hope and so glad your mom is doing better each day.

Take good care. Big hugs from frozen KY,
Lorraine

Katiejane said...

This is beautiful and the sentiments that are attached to it are make it extra special. Makes me yearn for a lovely day like this one.