Saturday, May 12, 2012

Yellow Field Roses - HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!

10" x 13"
Arches 140#CP

To all the mothers - the aunts, sisters, grandmothers, nonnas, daughters and those whose role is that of 'mother' - a most joyous and wonderful 'HAPPY MOTHERS DAY'!

The celebration of mom, for me, always brings me to flowers. My mom and dad had a small garden, barely more than foundational plantings. But of those, dad planted roses and lilacs - my mother's favorites. These field roses, painted to celebrate the beauty of less cultivated plants, are dedicated to my mom -- for her beauty, tenacity, strength and love. And more, for that bit of 'non-domesticated' wildness that enchants, surprises and manages to thrive in all manner of conditions - a celebration if you will, of the unpampered that is in all of us.

I came late to gardening, learning first to appreciate the wild species of things - enjoying the surprise of flowers and plants that grow without human intervention. The plants that make the roadsides, ditches, woodlands and fields a riot of color, fragrance and unquestionable beauty. I love too, how 'nature' provides 'wild' edibles without cultivation as well as provides the progeny of many of our domesticated food plants. I love how she provides such bounty of utilitarian plants for medicines, music, vessels, clothing and almost every other human need. Such effusive variety and abundance is motherlike in its selfless giving.

This weekend, we recognize, appreciate and celebrate - all our moms - including the mother of all of us - Our Good Earth.

May we remember to honor all our Moms!

4 comments:

maria said...

hallo lin,
wunderbare worte zum ehrentag der mütter, tanten, omis usw.....und vor allem der mutter "erde"!
nicht nur die worte, sondern deine bezaubernden wildrosen sind ein wunderschöner gruß an ALLE, ein aquarell der EXTRAKLASSE, ganz große kunst lin.
alles erdenklich gute und eine schöne zeit,
maria

Lorraine said...

Absolutely incredibly gorgeous. WOW. You have really really outdone yourself with this beautiful painting. As I started scrolling down I thought I was looking at a photograph and then realized it was your painting. Unbelievable Lin. What a lovely tribute to your mom and to all mom's. Your prose about moms and mother earth is especially endearing and so beautifully written. Just when I think you can't amaze me any more -- there you go.

Happy Mother's Day to you too. I hope it is restful and filled with joy for you.
Big hugs and love,
Lorraine

Joan Tavolott said...

What a sunny feel this has!!! Beautiful! Happy Belated Mother's Day!!!

djr-aquarelle said...

I love the tenderness of your brushstrokes!