Friday, July 13, 2012

Sun through the Trees

Sun through the Trees by linfrye
Sun through the Trees, a photo by linfrye on Flickr.

10" x 14"
Arches 140#CP

My current state of retirement can be defined in visual terms in this painting, inspired by a fabulous view by Ruby Ferreira


Thank you Ruby, for the inspiration and permission to post this!!!!! Please stop by Ruby's incredible flickr site for some outstanding captures!

Views like this and the feelings they engender -so exemplify my feelings these days - these days of bright possibilities - days filled with opportunity and promise; days that are free and ripe for creating memories and moments and maybe, bits of magic. (Thank you once more, dear Ruby!!)

It's been a busy week - but fun. I spend a day with a youth gardening group talking about squash. We harvested zucchini and together made chocolate-chip, orange zucchini bread -- YUMMMMMM!!!! And to watch those children enjoy and eat bowls of veggies made my heart sing!

Then I joined the folks at the Arboretum for the daylong wine tour of wineries in Johnston County -- fun, incredibly educational (who KNEW who much chemistry and horticulture went into a bottle of wine!!!), and yes, delicious!! And then took my grands to see Spiderman! Let me be honest here, I rarely get to the movies. I saw more movies when I was staying with my friend Amy while working out of town then I saw in the last 20 years! So going to the movies was indeed somewhat novel. But oh my gracious -- what a FABULOUS movie!!! When parts of the movie got intense or scary, I would hold Emily's hand, and she and I would scream together! But brave Nick, he didn't even flinch!!! LOL Yep, a chip off the shoulder of his father!!! Such a good time!

Today, I am resting. It's been such a dashing-around week, that I haven't spent enough time at the painting table -- but today -- that's the plan!

Filing and weeding will wait - though I may take a talk or two ...

And dream about another day of sun through the trees and the promise of tomorrow.


Teri Casper said...

Absolutely gorgeous Lin!
Good thing you are, or is that called semi-retired or still working a lot.

Tree Trimmer Queens said...

This is magnificent. Up for sale, I take it not?

-Carlos Hernandez

Joan T said...


Sounds like you had one exhausting week! Enjoy the weekend!

Lorraine said...

Oh Lin this is incredibly beautiful and so well done I thought it was a photograph. Mucho BRAVOS!!!

The light is magnificent and the trees perfect in the light. WOW.

And it is such an energizing and hopeful scene -- in your case it's truly: do what you love and the money will follow. Loved your description of your days now.

Still in awe of your talent.

roller doors sydney said...

Wow. I'm speechless. I don't know what to say. Your painting blew me away. Its that good that it make me tongue tied.