Monday, December 03, 2012

Daylilies - THANK YOU, Beth!

Daylilies - THANK YOU, Beth! by linfrye
Daylilies - THANK YOU, Beth!, a photo by linfrye on Flickr.

12" X 16" Watercolor on Unryu Paper
140# Arches 140#CP

Each day I eagerly look forward to the inspiring artwork and captures of my friends on flickr. There rarely goes by a day without me opening up my contacts page and sighing in joyous wonder at the incredible photos and paintings that my friends have created.

It was just such inspiration by my friend, Beth, www.flickr.com/photos/74264119@N02/ that I was moved, inspired and fired-up to paint this warm rendition of daylilies. THANK YOU SOOOOO much, Beth, for allowing me to use your photo as a reference, and far more, for the inspiration!!!! BLESS YOU! Please drop by Beth's INCREDIBLE flickr stream to see and be inspired by her AWESOME works!!! Again, Thank you, Beth

I fell in love with the textures Beth added to her capture, and the wondrous color combinations of yellow, antwerp blue, orange, cobalt violet, burnt sienna. I added salt to my washes to try to recreate the DAZZLE of her work, and also added unryu paper to achieve a bit more white spots here and there for splash. It was a fun painting ...and I really loved working with these colors -- they sure warmed up the day!!!!

I'm working on several other renditions as I try to create a different 'style' or approach to this same image. I really have fallen in love with this color palette.

We've been promised another warm week. This morning, it was warm enough to walk outside without a hat, gloves or heavy coat. Mercy.

Hope your week is splashy and joyous!

4 comments:

Teri said...

Wow, simply gorgeous!!!!!!

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Lin - this is a beautiful painting. I love daylilies and you captured these so well. It is warm here in Ohio as well. Take care my friend and have a great day.

Joan Tavolott said...

Beautiful job!! I love the color palette on this one.

We had the nicest day yesterday. It was mild and a perfect day for a trip to NYC to meet friends and do a quick painting. What a treat! Enjoy your day!!

Lorraine said...

I like these day lillies better than the real thing!! The colors you've used make them glow and the salt and unhru are delightful additions. Again, such a beautiful background for the incredible flowers -- the detail is exquisite Lin.
Hugs,
Lorraine