Sunday, March 17, 2013

Cone Flowers

Cone Flowers by linfrye ....
Cone Flowers, a photo by linfrye .... on Flickr.

8" x 12" Watercolor
Arches 140#CP

We had the grands this weekend and the weather cooperated beautifully. Yesterday was a balmy if not HOT day with temps reaching the low 70s. We spent several hours in the park riding bikes and scooters. As the kids raced around the pavilion, I took out a small pad and sketched my surroundings. Soon, the heat of the day tired them, and they too, took up pencils to sketch the park's outbuildings. We painted sunflowers earlier that morning, and it was really delightful to see their interest.

While we've had our 'blip' of summer weather, we'll be returning to rain and cooler temps for the rest of the week. Still, even where we live, a half zone north of most of our friends, our Bradford pears are beginning to bloom, daffodils are everywhere, and bluets are in my own grasses. I love seeing these bits of color, especially on so many gray, rainy days.

Hence, the dip into summertime flowers, and the Purple Cone Flowers that brighten my front flower beds. Already their leaves are bright green and lengthening by the day. The rain we're expecting today will help nourish them into bloom, and the warming sunshine bring them to full beauty.

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!!!! Today, everyone is Irish -- Erin go Bragh!!

5 comments:

Lorraine said...

Ooh I love the colors in this one Lin especially the way you've done the space under the blooms (do you call the cones blooms???). And I love the flow of the stems and colors. Such happy colors and I'm glad to have them on this rainy day.
Sounds like our weather is in sync. Warm and windy yesterday but back to cold spring this week.

It's so special to hear that you and the grands sketch and paint together. What a gift you are giving them by teaching them so young.
Big hugs,
Lorraine

Joan Tavolott said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day! This is so perky and springlike!!! Love the colors. That is great that the kids paint with you.

We had a touch of snow overnight...can spring really be arriving this week. It is sunny right now so I'm sure the snow is gone. I'll have to get out and paint something today. My cold kept me indoors all day yesterday...but I did work a bit on a new painting.

Enjoy!

Teri said...

Oh be still my heart...GORGEOUS!!!

Happy St Pat also.

Sue Seibert said...

Glorious!

Lise Steenerson said...

I absolutely LOVE this one Lin!!!!