Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Splashy Sunflowers

Splashy Sunflowers by linfrye ..
Splashy Sunflowers, a photo by linfrye .. on Flickr.

9" x 12" Watercolor
Arches 140#CP

With the rain and cold that has also blossomed with spring flowers, it felt like the right time to splash a bit of paint and create a flower abstraction. Though my bouquet of bright sunflowers is now becoming next year's compost, they inspired me to create a somewhat different view of them ... What I love about the creative aspect of splashing large amounts of paint colors, is the resultant 'Rorschach' test of 'finding' flowers' and using negative painting to 'carve' them out of the mass of color and shapeless paint. It's a meditative kind of approach that seems to quiet me while I also have a chance to delight in the possibilities before me. Fun.

Tomorrow is our 8-county area 'Senior Games' ... a time when we 'more mature' adults participate in different activities such as basketball, tennis, arts of all kinds and more. For my first entry into this annual event, I'll merely participate in the Opening Ceremonies and Senior Walk ... but it will be a real delight to see other mature adults taking an active role in their health and well being.

Hope the rest of your week is wonderful!


View Awards Count

3 comments:

Lorraine said...

Oh this is breathtaking Lin. Oh I just can't find the superlatives for this one. I looked and looked and looked at it and will keep going back to look at it more. It's amazing -- it's glorious color -- it's gorgeous. I love the way it explodes with color and vibrancy. Oh I wish I had the words. One of your very best and a definite candidate for next year's calendar!! Bravo girl.

And good luck with your senior walk. Another Bravo.
Hugs
Lorraine

Teri said...

Beautious! Love those sunflowers.
Happy Easter Lin!

Joan Tavolott said...

Gorgeous splashy look to these sunflowers!!! Bravo!

Enjoy the senior games. My sister has participated in the NJ ones...in basketball, darts, and pingpong in the past. She even got medals. lol Have fun!