Monday, April 17, 2006

Corner of the Porch with Roses


My attempt this week is to continue my study of values as I begin more landscapes. I was outdoors this morning taking photos to take with me to use as practice while I"m away at work. The corner of my porch with the rose vine beginning its climb, called my attention ... so I've attempted to sketch it.

I'm not too certain that the values and shading is completed -- I'm sensing the darks need to be darker ... but for now, I'm just pleased that my SKETCH of the porch has achieved more perspective than I've been able to do all month!

3 comments:

Terri said...

It looks fantastic. Great sense of depth. Must be gorgeous in reality too. :o)

Lisa Ridolfi said...

Lin,
I really like this version, as Laura said in her comment to the other post. The darks are darker in this one and that really helps to establish the depth of that under-the-porch area, and anchors the whole drawing. The only thing I question is the floor boards that are behind the porch railing. If I'm reading it right, I think these should extend back in space following the same lines as the boards that you drew so well in the foreground. (Does that make sense?)

Lindsay said...

This is lovely. I love the contrast between the lovely tree and the more rugged porch