Sunday, April 09, 2006

Dogwood Blossom


Palm Sunday - Easter, and the dogwoods are bright against the Carolina blue sky. I snip a stem from one of the trees, and place it in a vase for my daughter-in-law's birthday dinner. I sketch the blossoms, in their unnatural face-on view .... but I'll have to do this again standing by a tree and stem to capture their quality of DANCE that I see each time I look at those blossoming trees.

I also found trying to capture that light yellow/chartruse/sienna/gray that lines the cupping petals a REAL challenge!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did an EXCELLENT job on those cupping petals! Hope you have a lovely family celebration tonight.

Teri said...

Yes, they are certainly gorgeous! You have really captured their beauty!! I love that you took the time to do this on a such a busy happy day.

Tami said...

Lin,

These are Great! On both the white of the petal and the cupping of the edge, you did an outstanding job! Hope you had a wonderful dinner.

Karen Sandstrom said...

Your dogwood flowers are beautiiful, Lin.

Unknown said...

lovely flowers paintings!

Felicity Grace said...

Lovely cool colours in contrast to the warm colours of the flowers below!

pedalpower said...

Your painting is beautiful....spring in the south...I love driving down there and seeing the dogwoods blooming in the woods.

starrgirl's world said...

the dogwoods here in ohio aren't quite ready yet, but they do dance, don't they. that's what i love about spring! good job on drawing the dinner flowers!

Sue Seibert said...

Just beautiful, Lin! Wish we lived where the dogwoods grow...but we are in the desert. Your painting is lovely...makes we long of East Texas.