Sunday, April 23, 2006

Second Oxford Sketch


Oxford is still a predominantly rural community. Farms of all types -- tobacco (though those are slowly disappearing), cattle, grains, and more all add to the bucolic feeling of the community I love.

Charles was determined to find a tobacco barn for me to sketch -- those being so indicative of the industry that contributed relative wealth to this county. We have a few remaining -- many of those covered with vines and shrubs, others on private property that we simply could NOT get a decent angle to even photograph.

We decided though, that since there is a plethera of all types of barns, that THOSE too were symbolic of Oxford.

While my allergic tablet began to work, I sketched this barn from a photo I took this afternoon and then added watercolor. Charles loved it! (SO nice to have his support!!) I still still a number of angles I missed -- but it was FUN! The sky in the painting I did is MUCH darker -- with hints of red and clouds that indicate the rain that was heading our way.

5 comments:

Linda said...

Great sketches! Looks like you had a wonderful sketchcrawl. Tell you what, if I remember, I'll send you a photo of a tobacco barn something this summer (they're better when they're full!)
:-D

Linda said...

Uh, I meant to say "SOMETIME this summer"...
(duh)

Terri said...

Barns are wonderful and these are fantastic Lin. Sounds like you had a great day out taking photos and sketching. You hubby sounds like wonderful man too. :o)

Tami said...

I love old barns and these have interesting character. I would have liked to have seen all of the tones you put into the sky, sounds like it added a lot of feeling to the painting. you captured the pastorial feeling very well though.

Anastasia said...

Fantastic sketches Lin!
Looks like you had a great time sketching.
Is Oxford far from N.Carolina?