Saturday, April 08, 2006

Virtual Asheville Sketch Crawl



Due to unexpected expenses -- eye doctor, Easter, new contacts, etc., etc., my plans to join the crew at the Asheville sketch crawl had to be postponed. SIGH. Big disappointment! Undaunted, though, I decided that I would join them virtually.

It rained on and all off day today, so instead of crawling at any of the local Arboreta, I dropped by the N.C. Museum of Art. I hadn't been there for a while and so I took a bit of time to walk slowly through the paintings, some wonderful statues, some GORGEOUS etchings (teeny) by Rembrandt (SORDID AND SACRED: THE BEGGARS IN REMBRANDT'S ETCHING--Selections from the John Villarino Collection), and some marvelous Egyptian vases!

I knew any rendering of statues would take me several hours and much consternation, so instead, I focused on some of the vases (which I really love!!!).

I'd never sketched in a museum before (I think this is also an EDM challenge!) and so was not sure what to expect. I quietly pulled out my folded sheet of watercolor paper, stood in front of a case of vases (no nearby seats, and I sketch SO SLOWLY), and used my pencil to sketch. MAN, those museum lights are LOW!!!!!

I sketched without anyone stopping me and pretty soon lost track of time. I made notes of color, and then found a seat and opened my wee portable wc pallet and began to watercolor. I went back and forth from seat to case to try to get the colors as correct as possible. (DARN those shadows -- I MUST LEARN MORE about how to do these!) Anyway, I was able to mix and paint, correct, walk back to check, return to seat....... But holy moly, those lights are so DIM!!! BTW, the vases range from 300 bc to 3500 bc!

I was about done with the vases when a young couple came by and asked me to see what I was sketching. (blush blush) I explained that I was a novice and trying to sketch the vases since photos were not permitted (why did I feel the need to justify??? LOL). Anyway -- they made very nice comments .... and I went on to finish my vases.

I stood up -- and got a bit lightheaded. WOW!!! Already 1:00 and a LOONNGGG time since my tiny bowl of cereal. I was in a quandary. I really wanted to do more vases, but my stomach, its emptiness now acknowledged, began to embarrass me with its rumbling. So I had to leave and give it some sustenance.

It was FUN! Though I know it would have been much more enjoyable had I been able to join the others in Asheville. But I was there in spirit and hope to make the next crawl!

13 comments:

Teri said...

They are marvelous Lin!!! Isn't it fun to do something like this! Losing treack of time is so refreshing and having someone come along and validate what you are doing is wonderful.

Anonymous said...

What a fun thing to do - and these are quite nice little drawings! Imagine the connection - you and these ancient vases from so long ago... Isn't that incredible? thanks for posting these.

Terri said...

Sounds like a wonderful way to spend the day Lin! Wish I could have joined you. I had the same dilemna when I was visiting the V & A museum in London. Luckily they have a coffee shop/restaurant as part of the complex, so I was able to take morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea breaks which enabled me to spend ALL day looking, sketching and just revelling in the beauty there. Thanks for sharing those amazing vases. What a great experience you had. Bet you do it again soon eh?! :o)

Jan Allsopp said...

I love your sketches and admire your bravery. Such a nice thing to do! You have inspired me to boldly sketch where I have never sketched before!

Linda said...

Way to go, Lin! Great drawing of the vases -- which should count as the EDM challenge for drawing in a museum AND this week's challenge for a grouping, right? :-)
I missed being in Asheville, too. I wonder how their day went!?

Penny said...

What a great way to remember them,and what a great day you had as well. I must find time to do the same Penny in South Australia

Alison said...

Well done to go off to a museum - you spur me on to have a go too. Sweet little vase drawings.

Lindsay said...

Lin, these vases are so rich and I'm glad you got to draw in the museum. I used to feel intimidated at the art museum (prefering the Natural History museum) but the last time I went to the Art Institute I felt much more at home. Isen't it freeing?? Too bad we don't live closer or we could go together!!!! Here's to wishing.

Tami said...

Good job! Very brave of you to go out a sketch on your own in a museum! You did really well with very low light! I am fine sitting in my car drawing but haven't quite gotten up the nerve to draw in public yet.

Tami said...

Good job! Very brave of you to go out a sketch on your own in a museum! You did really well with very low light! I am fine sitting in my car drawing but haven't quite gotten up the nerve to draw in public yet.

Kate Robertson said...

Lin, You are in no way a novice. You are an artist and a good one too. The vases are lovely. Now I want to do a museum too. We only have a natural history one but I am sure there would be something to draw there. Thanks for the inspiration.

Anonymous said...

So wish I could have gone with you to the museum. I stayed here and painted like a fly in marmalade. (Not talking about my blog stuff.) Ick.

Cin said...

hi Lin,

the vases are lovely, isn't it wonderful to draw and get the chance to really look slowly at so many beautiful artworks!
you'll find sketching at the museum addictive, at least I have, I've been going once a week for a few months now, have even got to know some of the guards so now it's like going to visit friends too. you should maybe start a themed sketchbook of just museum drawings :)