Sunday, September 02, 2007

Echinacea


Echinacea
Originally uploaded by linfrye
With all my art focus on doors and landscapes lately, I needed to return to a softer topic-- my beloved flowers -- at least for a moment.

Here in piedmont NC the summer is drawing to a close. August has set all records for the hottest month -- EVER -- with 30 out of 31 days over 90F, and many of THOSE days, over 100F! And still no rain.

Flowers are scarce these days. The few blooming on my property are covered with insects of all types in search of moisture and sustenance.

It's this type of situation that drives me, and many people, toward the nurseries, also searching for the sustenance and 'food' for the soul ... flowers.

5 comments:

Claudia said...

Very goog blog entry and very nice watercolour!

Lorraine said...

Ooh these are lovely and indeed balm to the soul. Lovely painting Lin and yes, we too are feeling the effects of the drought and many plants and flowers are lost to it.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Karen Sandstrom said...

Excellent, Lin. I love purple coneflower.

Jeanette Nord said...

Oh Lin, you have captured my favourite flower perfectly! I could need some sun and hot weather. It`s raining buckets here as it has been doing all summer..But autumn is in the air and I can`t wait! Autumn being my favourite time of the year. The morning walk in the crisp air and all natures lovely colors. Oh I so hope the weather gets better!

Lots of hugs to you dear LIn!

Jeanette

Terri said...

From someone else who is living with drought and has done for several years now, I hope you soon get some respite and some decent Autumn rainfall to cool things down. We're expecting showers later today - so far just clouds. Tantalizing.... Fingers crossed for us both.