Saturday, September 29, 2007

Lone Fig


Lone Fig
Originally uploaded by linfrye
The drought has become even greater. So many of our trees and shrubs are dying as the water in the soil dries along with the lakes, ponds and streams.

Fall is my favorite time of year -- and the figs produced by my few bushes are relished by me! Yet this year, despite water rings around each small plant, they've been able to produce only ONE small fig.

There is little rain in sight for the next few weeks and already some of the towns are counting the days remaining for water supplies before they have to ship it in from somewhere else.

We so need a raindance!

4 comments:

Lorraine said...

Oh no, I know how much you love the fresh figs you grow.
The painting is just lovely -- I especially like the green shading and the colors in the fig against the green. We finally had one good rain on Thurs. but it's far from enough.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for you with the drought there...you did a great sketch of your fig, I like your darks against the greens.
ronell

Linda said...

Lin, this is a fantastic painting. The linework is so veerrryyy delicate -- just beautiful! I've done a raindance regularly for the past few weeks, and it hasn't worked yet. Maybe if EVERYBODY elso joins in ...
:-D

Jana Bouc said...

This is a new favorite! I'm sorry there won't be fig jam this year. I still remember the yummy jam from when we first met. Even the writing on this page adds to my pleasure in viewing this lovely botanical illustration, one of my favorite art forms.