Tuesday, January 01, 2008
HAPPY NEW YEAR - 2008 and Art Goals
I thank each of you for your continued encouragement, support and friendship, and may I offer the same to you in your art journey. Your kindnesses have kept me picking up my pencil and paintbrush and I sincerely thank you for such generosity of spirit and heart.
My Art Goals for 2008:
* Sketch/paint daily – It’s the only way I know to improve!
* Practice more faces and figures – I’ve been reluctant to do these – they take more time and thought than I usually have but I really need to tackle this subject, for doing faces tells me when I’m really SEEING and SKETCHING what is in front of me!!
* Practice more landscapes – with my involvement in a plein air group this year, I’d like my plein air paintings to improve
* Sketch the everyday - Learn to SEE and PAINT as an artist would – not simply to render the scene – but the feeling and drama of what I love and what I’m painting …
* Continue to work through the many art books on my shelves!
* Practice more values and perspective
* LOOSEN UP!!
* Increase my economy of line and sketching speed - In order to do this, I will have to focus on SKETCHING during the workweek and PAINTING during the weekends when I have more leisure time. I noticed these last two weeks off, that I really NEED that extra time to let the paint dry between washes, THINK and PLAN what I’m doing, etc., and I just don’t have that kind of leisure during the workweek…. So I’ll have to TRY to be satisfied with practicing my sketching and quick paintings at work and spend time on the weekends for more polished paintings.
* Continue to use richer colors – especially DARKS.
* Sketch more things of meaning – and WRITE more in each of my journal entries.
* Study more art theory such as composition, the things that make a painting more dramatic or eye-catching, what makes a good still-life, how to increase the light in a painting, etc., etc.
* I don’t want to focus on particular subjects to paint, but would rather leave that open to painting those things that are ‘meaningful’ in some way.
*And no matter what, get in as much EXERCISE as SKETCHING!!
* And as always: PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE
Here's to 2008!!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!