Monday, January 28, 2008

A landscaped house


A landscaped house
Originally uploaded by linfrye
This sketch turned out far differently than the picture in my head ... my dh said it looked like something from a children's storybook and I suppose it does in a way ....

I'd like to try it again with a looser touch as I find something compelling in the photo I sketched this from .... perhaps it's all the flowery landscaping after all the snow I've been drawn to? LOL

My dd takes off today -- please keep her in your prayers during her long drive...it's been such grace to be with her before her business trip ...

10 comments:

Ivona Hrvatin said...

Really like this painting. It looks like a fairytale. A dream!

Robyn Sinclair said...

This painting is very successful when viewed large. It not only looks looser but your lovely values are much more apparent. I like it very much. Of course I'd be really interested to see you do another version, since it is such a preoccupation of mine at present.

Ivona Hrvatin said...

Lin, thank you for your encouraging words! Too kind!!!
Oooh, I'd love you to link me on your blog. :)) It's an honour! Thank you!!!

Have a nice day.

Jenny said...

Lin, this is so charming, and I think it is loose. I know what you mean by wanting it looser, but you should be very happy with this.

Teri said...

it does look a fairy tale place, beautiful and restful. I like all the details, makes me feel like I am there.

Joan said...

This looks like a charming, quaint "fairytale" spot of color and peace. I like it. I agree with Robyn that it would be nice to see another version of it.

Tami said...

Children's story book picture or not; it has a very homey feeling to it. You did an outstanding fob on the cottage; I struggle so much with any type of architecture. Beautiful!!!

Sandy said...

This is lovely Lin, quite cozy!

Lorraine said...

Oh I love it; it reminds me of homes in the country in New England and those in story books of England that I loved to read as a child. I think you did very well with the looseness -- the house more defined and the foliage looser. Will be keeping your DD in my heart during her trip -- and you too Grandma!
Hugs,
Lorraine

Terri said...

I hope Michelle arrives safely at her destination. I know what a worry it is when the kids (and grandkids) are on the road travelling. :o)