Saturday, January 19, 2008

Sketching Palms in the Dark


Sketching Palms in the Dark
Originally uploaded by linfrye
One challenge during a conference, especially those that involve lots of note taking, is finding a moment to move from writing script to drawing or sketching ... and thus, in the dark, between notes, this vase was about all I could manage. I sketched with my ballpoint pen and was surprised when I added a bit of watercolor later that evening that it didn't run.

I'm dashing back to the conference for the trade show and to meet my students for another class. We're expecting snow in the afternoon so we'll be cramming in as much as we can in a few short hours.

And whether it's snow or rain, we're all glad for whatever water can be added to our parched lakes and soils!

5 comments:

Felicity Grace said...

Gosh, what a week for weather! When you said you were off to a conference this week I didn't expect any sketches, now I've missed them every day - doh! I should have known you better!! :) There is great contrast in this sketch - and ball point pen too! How anyone gets a result from those is beyond me! Hope you don't get too much snow.

Lorraine said...

You continue to amaze me! I remember sitting in meetings and writing descriptions of the people in the meeting -- practice for writing -- until I was asked a question and realized I hadn't heard it!! But sketching in the dark, now that's really a talent!!! Lovely colors on the vase and really neat feathery touch to the foliage.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Tami said...

Your dedication to sketching amazes me! This is lovely for being drawn in the dark, with a ball point pen. I was hopeing that you were getting today to sit and enjoy yourself, you're going to be going right into another week of work without much down time...

Anonymous said...

What an interesting vase - great rendering! You are really in the run there...
Ronell

Anonymous said...

I love the texture of the vase in ink. It's so free and fun! Nice colors too. I don't know how you do it but it's such a pleasure to see. Your schedule makes me tired just reading about it!