Sunday, January 13, 2008

Swan


Swan
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Another busy weekend -- and I can tell fatigue is setting in. A three hour drive and six and a half hour teaching stint yesterday - but home for a day and then back to work tomorrow for a weeklong conference. Ah well, 'they' tell me I'll miss all this when I retire! LOL

I can always 'see' my fatigue in my sketches -- there are a few things 'off' or I've forgotten to check something -- like highlights or table depth or shadows ... still I find the practice worthwhile, even with the imperfections.

I was reading something the other day about inspiration. The author, again I can't recall, said that inspiration is wonderful, but it's the 'showing up at the table -- no matter what' that makes one's art improve ... AND when inspiration WILL show up -- sort of like having 'inspiration' know where you'll be...! LOL

So, despite the long days and weary body, I keep showing up .... and realize that some days will just be better than others!

5 comments:

Tami said...

Even with your tiredness, you've done a lovely job here. What's "table depth"?

Funny, I was reading almost the exact same thing a few days ago about writing and thought about how it also applied to painting. Now, if I can just practice it!

Lorraine said...

Yup, showing up is a writer's "must" also. I guess that why I failed at both!! BELIEVE ME, you will not miss work, especially those endless meetings! And you will be so busy you will wonder how you ever had time to work! Your graceful, lovely swan is very well done. I always look at the enlarged version and the details are wonderful. You certainly do more than just "show up" and it "shows!"
Hugs,
Lorraine

Teri said...

I especially love this since our retirement park is called 'Swan Lake'. I admire your tenacity Lin.

Linda said...

You amaze me. I don't know how you do it! This is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Your artwork is just amazing. Truly beautiful. I found you via another art blog and really enjoy yours.
I'm taking my first pen and ink class next month and find myself really drawn to sketching, although I'm not very good at it. Yet...I feel compelled to learn. I'll be visiting your place often for inspiration.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net