Saturday, March 21, 2009
I simplified the scene immensely ...had my dear husband help me with the perspective (still a challenge), and used quite a bit of artistic license to move boats around. I wanted some verticality so I added a sailboat from another image. I also wanted to focus just a bit more on that blue boat with the red stripe. I loved the yellow house so I wanted a bit more of that and the red building. I remembered some 'posts' from the Charleston harbor and so added those to an area of the painting that I thought needed something else. Lastly, I added a bit of humor since the white boat looked so 'naked.'
This was done on Arches #140cp, 9" x 12" -- a bit small for the scene I think .. but with the challenges I had -- large enough! LOL
I had a bit of trouble with the water, so if I'm going to be visiting Venice in May, I'd better spend some time practicing both boats AND water !!! LOL Truly this was a really good practice for that trip .... so THANk YOU once again, Bill ... for the stretch!