Thursday, October 29, 2009

Fall Shrub


Fall Shrub
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Daily Practice
Journal

It's hard to see the colors of my landscape this week since I often leave the house in the dark and return late at night. The other morning as I moved my car from the garage, the headlights highlighted one of the early blooming spring shrubs (the name escapes me this early in the morning! LOL) and so I got out of the car and snapped off a few twigs to sketch at the hospital.

Sketching in an ICU unit, in a small chair, with instruments surrounding my son, noises and nurses all around, is a juggling act with moments of hilarity as one tries to stay out of the way, be somewhat 'inconspicuous' and stay a bit focused on patient, paint and placement all at the same time! I will look back at this series of leaves and stems and bits of nature not only to remember the season and this challenging time, but also how truly blessed it is to be able to paint on an art table with space, light and a comfy seat! LOL Nonetheless, Iand most of all, am truly grateful that the nurses have been exceedingly tolerant.

Again my deepest thanks for your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. The pain meds are working to keep Mike comfortable, and he was able to get out of the bed, walk a bit and sit up for an hour or two yesterday. We're expecting him to be in his own room later today and that he will begin taking fluids. Depending on his progress, he should be coming home sometime this weekend. We'll be getting a room ready for him as well as any special foods he'll need. He'll have 4-8 weeks of recovery, and then surgery again. This is going to be a long road, but things are progressing, and looking far brighter than they did a week ago.

Again my heartfelt gratitude, and I should get a chance to see your beautiful artwork and comment shortly. Your works inspire and cheer me, and I'm missing my daily viewing. Thank you too for your patience and most incredible kindness.

4 comments:

Joan said...

Yeah!!! He's up on his feet!That's always good to hear.

I can just see you with your leaves and art supplies trying to be inconspicuous and keep out of the way in the ICU. At least you're bringing some of the autumn color inside in your lovely paintings.

Teri said...

Such a wonderful painting and such good news.

Pat said...

The bed table is especially handy when he gets out of ICU. You can adjust it to chair height.

Lorraine said...

A bit of brightness for your painting and for Mike. What a time you've both had and I hope all will look up from here on out but sorry to hear about the additional surgery.
Hugs and Love,
Lorraine