Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Golden Hickory Leaves


Golden Hickory Leaves
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Daily Practice
Journal

Mike's surgery went well, and I cannot thank you sufficiently for all your thoughts and prayers - I know these have carried him through. When I left him in the ICU unit last night, he was heavily sedated, and yet still experiencing severe pain. The road to recovery is going to be long and arduous and painful ... but if he can get through the next few days, we think the worst will be behind him. Again, my heart-felt, humble gratitude.

The recent rains and winds have removed so many of the leaves off the trees. These hickory leaves came from my backyard - the tree I can watch from my upstairs window. All week, it has been brilliantly golden against the dark green pines. I picked up a few leaves before leaving the house to paint during all the long waiting periods. I suppose if there is another case for watercolor, it's its portability. I can sit in a stiff chair with pad and brush in my lap and lose myself --the process meditative and prayerful. It has helped.

As have you ....

Blessings and gratitude, and biggest of hugs. Thank you.

5 comments:

Joan said...

I'm so glad to hear that Mike's surgery went well. I will continue my prayers for all of you.

It is so great that you had your art to do while you waited and worried. It is a nice way to relax a bit and I agree about the portability of watercolors. You can literally take them anywhere.

Lorraine said...

So very relieved that everything went well. But will still keep sending positive energy his way for the fastest and best recovery possible.

Your leaves are beautiful and I'm glad you didn't paint them perfectly but as they are. I see so many unusual leaves in my yard right now and they all seem to have some spot or glob on them -- just like people I guess!

What a blessing to have your painting to help you through these very tough days. Take very good care of yourself.
Hugs and Love,
Lorraine

Ivona Hrvatin said...

Dear Lin, I was quickly going from painting to painting not reading the posts and ignoring you have health troubles in family. I'm glad that Mike's surgery went well. You are all in my prayers.

Pat said...

I have continued to have you and your family in my prayers several times a day. You are a blessing to so many and even in this difficult time you remind me that there is good in even the sadness of life's horribly wonderful mysteries.

Teri said...

So happy to hear the good news.
Gorgeous leaves!