Friday, October 09, 2009

SUNRISE ON THE CATTAIL POND


SUNRISE ON THE CATTAIL POND
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Daily Practice

The week has flown by it seems, and we've a quiet weekend planned before an exceptionally busy two weeks. I'm hoping to get in some additional painting and a bit of rest. Next week we winterize the class gardens, travel with a group for one of the Arboretum's lecture series, and the rest of the week is spent in conference ... It seems this entire semester has been an amplification of events, activities, and obligataions ... whew.

I painted this from a photo reference ... It seems lately that my daily mantra of 'what do I want to paint today?' has been inclined toward landscapes and loosening up, trying to work with fewer paint strokes, to work more swiftly and without fussing, trying to be a bit more expressive and less fussy with detail. I hope so - and I hope that I can transfer this same 'inclination' when I return to painting more florals and still lifes. So I'm tending to paint more and more landscapes while this 'attitude/inclination' prevails hoping that I can make this internal drive more of a 'natural' way of painting instead of the struggle it has been. We'll see.

Meanwhile, landscapes, as the fall colors continue towards the reds and golds of later Autumn in NC, the temperatures cool, and the days grow shorter.

Have a great one!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks like the perfect morning to wake up to Lin! I love the sunrise and the cattails in relief! Gorgeous colors. Hope your do get rested this weekend and enjoy lots of painting.
Hugs
Lorraine

Teri said...

Stunning!!!!!