Friday, October 23, 2009

Sunrise


Sunrise
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Daily Practice

As I sat in my office yesterday morning, I watched the sun rise in the east - the colors a soft glow of red and yellow - and a swirly, foggy mist settled low among the trees. Our gardener joined me at that early hour to watch the day break..... and we chatted about the dedication we've been preparing for all month.

The sky's early glow portended an incredibly beautiful day - rich sunshine, HOT temperatures, a soft breeze that rustled the blooms of the ornamental grasses. The incredibly dedicated students and volunteers had put their final touches on the work they've been doing, and the Formal Garden looked phenomenal! I looked at the students and their work, the miracle of drawn circles and named plantings come to life in trees and shrubs and pathways and stone walls, and could have cried with the joy of it.

Guests arrived, caterer and volunteers brought food, and our guest of honor, our past college president, was overwhelmed with it all. I'll post photos later today as I can ... but the dedication went exceptionally well, was heart-warmingly received, and our students shined! I couldn't have asked for anything more. This was grace.

I got home very very late to some news. My mom is out of the hospital, but still weak, and my son was admitted to our local hospital with intenstinal problems. I went directly from the ceremony to the hospital and will be there most of the weekend. My computer time will be limited and I hope to continue my daily sketching as I sit with him in the event of surgery. He should be okay, but any hospital stay is a worrisome thing. I know your thoughts will be with my mom and son - and I thank you in advance for your kindness.

4 comments:

Lorraine said...

Incredibly beautiful painting Lin. And such a wonderful description of your event.

I am so sorry to hear about your mom and now your son. My thoughts are with you both.
Hugs and Love,
Lorraine

Joan said...

What a beautiful sunrise. I am glad everything went well for the event. I will keep your mom and son in my prayers for good health.

Teri said...

Stunningly beatuiful painting Lin.

Hope all the issues clear up.

Ivona Hrvatin said...

Very mystical. Beautiful.