Monday, October 26, 2009

Wine Colored Maple Leaves


Wine Colored Maple Leaves
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Daily Practice
Journal

The cold weather we've been having, the recent rains, and the planet's turning have all contributed to the incredible fall display I see. I am bedazzled with the range of colors, the varieties within one single leaf, the array of different barks against a kaleidoscope of colors! In my forrays to the hospital and back to home, leaves swirl around my moving car, crunch under foot, pile in windrows. Rainy days bring out their hues even more vividly - but when the sun peeks from behind clouds, the colors set against a Carolina blue sky are enough to make one catch a breath!

These maple leaves were in the hospital parking lot. I love their wine-color - reminding me of a glass of burgundy. The curled edges, paler against the front, were such a nice contrast to paint and draw.

Painting has been such a good stress reliever for me. Sitting in Mike's room with pencil or brush in hand, the room windowless and dark, listening to the sound of the IV pump and his breathing, brings on a quietness to the mind, a quieting of worry, a softness to the tension. Oftentimes, Mike will sleep while I sit there, gaining the rest his body needs for healing. Meantime, pictures form on pages, and time passes in a way that makes me lose track of the hours and the days.

Today, another CT scan and visit by the surgeon. More decisions, more tests. So far, he's holding his own and improving. Thank you, truly and wholeheartedly, for your thoughts and prayers.

4 comments:

Lorraine said...

Dark beauties! And you captured their turned up edges so perfectly! I am keeping you both in my heart for good results from the scan today and Mike's continuing to grow stronger for the surgery. Please give him a hug for us.
Hugs and Love,
Lorraine & Bruce

Joan said...

Lin - The leaves do have a burgundy look to them. I love seeing all the colors. I'm glad you have your art to help destress in this time of great stress. My prayers are with you all.

Ivona Hrvatin said...

These are a m a z i n g! Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!

Teri said...

Absolutely gorgeous in their photo realism!