Monday, January 04, 2010

Another Old Barn - Oxford, NC

9" x 12" Arches 140# CP

Last week, just as the sun was getting ready to set, C and I drove to see the property that was just cleared and some of the uncovered old farm buildings. Behind the downed trees, scrub and weeds, sat this old barn. The entire site was bathed in the pink glow of sunset, giving an almost dreamlike quality to the scene.

As many farms are abandoned and even more farm buildings lose their purpose, I so hope to capture them in photos and in watercolor before they all return to the good earth. There are several more structures on this same property...but to capture them, I need to walk the area to get around much of the vegetation. Perhaps I'll get a chance when the weather warms.

For now it's single digits and frozen water bowls and the heater running full blast. I return to work today for an all day conference, then all day registration tomorrow. I hope to catch up with everyone later this week.

As grade schools reopen as well, it'll be back to routine ... I wish everyone a safe return and a most warm one!

3 comments:

Joan said...

I love the rust colors in the barn and the landscape. Paintings like this are so relaxing to see...like a step back in the past. Very nice job!!! Hope you're adjusted to being back at work.

Teri said...

A lovely old barn and beautiful painting. That is such a good thing to capture the past. We have lots of old barns in Wis and I feel inspired to do the same thing.

Lorraine said...

I've always loved old barns and covered bridges and you do such a marvelous job with the barns -- I can just see it standing there with lots of memories hidden in the rafters! Gorgeous painting.
Stay warm,
Lorraine