Thursday, January 14, 2010

Rocky Coast


Rocky Coast
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Daily Practice
Journal

I got home late last night -- conference going well, and I'm dashing back this morning. It's a two-hour drive both ways, which makes it a mighty long day indeed.

I was leafing through my photo references and ran across this one. It's not a subject I paint very often, but I thought I'd give it a try. I'm happy with my rocks and building, but I'd like to practice oceans a bit more. The reference photo contained a 'splashier' water -- but in the interest of time and fatigue, I settled for a quieter 'splash'....! LOL

Have a great day!

4 comments:

Lorraine said...

Well I'm not an ocean person but this painting is terrific. I love it all -- the color and shapes of the rocks -- so realistic, the lighthouse and buildings -- so familiar to me from New England -- great details -- and the water is super. I love the way the foam and spray are indicated -- you've done a super job -- and after such a long day. Kudos again to you my friend.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Joan said...

Lin - Great job on the rocky coast!!! Your rocks and ocean came out really well. This looks like one of the Maine lighthouses outside of Portland. (I can't remember the name, but have been there several times.) Enjoy!

Teri said...

I LOVE oceans and this lighthouse in Maine is one of my favorite spots. I love this painting.

Pat said...

Hi Lin, just stopped by to enjoy your last few paintings. All wonderful. The devastation is being felt by all.