Monday, March 29, 2010

Abstracted Grapes


Abstracted Grapes
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Daily Practice
Journal

There are some times when one just can't settle down to paint -- this weekend was one of those times where it seemed all I wanted to do was splash paint around and see what happened. These grapes were one of those 'happenings.'

I enjoyed the process of wetting parts of the paper, splattering paint from the tip of my brush, spraying a bit, blending a bit, and then 'finding' and losing edges and parts to leave the work somewhat abstracted.

We had one heck of a storm last night -- tornado warnings, lightning and thunder that kept me up most of the night, and pounding rain that I fear has knocked down most of our fruit tree blossoms. It's dark now and will be when I leave for work, so I'll have to keep my fingers crossed some blooms have remained to bear fruit this summer.

It'll be another intense week, another aspect of the Southern Symposium, and then a small break for the Easter Holiday. We've gone from cold and storms to temps predicted by the weekend to be in the high 70s! Yep, fickle weather indeed.

Have a great week!

5 comments:

annie said...

This is so fine, Lin--splash away! I can't stop going back to look at it, again.

Bad news about storm-- I would not have slept, either--but thank goodness no tornado injuries. Let's hope that the fruit will be okay.
annie

Lorraine said...

WOW. I need to get back to playing with paint. I could not do any creating yesterday either -- just bumping up against dead ends and finally gave up. But you made a masterpiece with your painting -- truly gorgeous colors and a beautiful painting overall. I love it!!

I'm so sorry to hear about your storm. This has been a bad couple of years for crops and I know how discouraging it must be for everyone who has put so much time and effort into planing, nurturing, and then not having a harvest. I am hoping for the best that some blooms are left.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Teri said...

You are having way too much fun!!! With beautiful results!

Marthann's Musings said...

Love your work. I got to your blog via Laure's. You do beautiful work,nice color and effect. I am new to this, stop over at my blog anytime.

Joan said...

Lovely job on the abstracted grapes!!! This has incredible edges and color!!!