Monday, March 08, 2010

Marsh


Marsh
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Daily Practice
Journal

I must say that in real life this painting doesn't look as 'yellow' as on my screen this morning (nor as crooked! LOL - mercy, upload issues this morning! ) ... but the marsh I took so many photos of while in Charleston under incredibly bright blue skies and wonderfully warm sun was a tawny sienna with bits of dark green and burnt sienna, and seemed to flow on for miles.

I'm enamored with marshes lately - and in thinking about why it seems to harken to that cradle of beginnings, the font and flow of life's initiation, the place of birth and rebirth. Perhaps this all means the longing for spring ... the need for renewal, the yearning for that spark that propels one into the world out of winter's slumbering hibernation, with all the stored energy of a season's sleep.

Perhaps ......

Regardless of the why, those marshes with their endless waving grasses, live oaks and clear bright waters were a balm to my spirit, and an antidote to the grey and cold of these past months.

As wondrous as they are, it's still so good to be home...

3 comments:

Lorraine said...

Regardless of the scanning issues, your marsh painting is fantastic. The colors with all the highlights and the sense of movement -- just incredible. And you "waxed poetic" along with the beautiful painting. Such a lovely way to start my way.
Thank you dear friend.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Joan said...

This is beautiful!!! I love marshes too and you captured the color really well. I think the marshes sort of have that ebb & flow of life that appeals to me.

It is a beautiful day here and I am heading over to the beach to walk on the boardwalk. I have my gloves and earmuffs just in case. Enjoy!

Anna Flowergardengirl said...

Well I just love your paintings. And you are a NC gal so that is grand. Nice to stop by and meet you. I was here looking for zinnia information and found your paintings so I feel extra blessed.

Have a wonderful Spring week.