Sunday, May 23, 2010

Italy on a Hilltop


Italy on a Hilltop
Originally uploaded by linfrye
9" x 12"
Arches 140#CP

I've been playing around with my landscapes, trying for something a bit less formal ... and though I've overdone it here, I like the vignette style and 'different' foreground.

We spent the day yesterday touring one of our area gardens -- incredibly gorgeous with so many poppies, nigella, speedwells, larkspur, roses in bloom that it was like being in flower heaven! We had a leisurely lunch, and then roamed the countryside to see the hayfields and barns in their spring dress. We made it home before the thunderstorms .... wonderful day.

Today we'll see the grands and hopefully I"ll get back to the paint table.

Hope your Sunday is terrific!

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

I love the effect and the colors -- terrific. And the way the impressionistic flowers "frame" the more detailed village -- supreme!!

I finally received Karlyn's new book yesterday so hope to find some time with it today.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Joan said...

Great job on the colors in this!!! I agree with Lorraine that the flowers seem to frame the village. It makes me ache for Italy!

Hope your day is great! It is grey and damp here, not good weather for plein air painting. lol