Monday, May 24, 2010

Oxford Hay and Barn


Oxford Hay and Barn
Originally uploaded by linfrye
9" x 12"
Arches 140#CP

It's haying season and I cannot experience or view enough fields or barns! My dear husband kindly drove me around the countryside the last two weekends as I snapped more and more photos of haybales and barns! LOL

I remember how excited I was when I was in Italy and saw THEIR hay bales - there's something to elemental about rolled straw sitting in tawny fields that thrills me to pieces ... perhaps it's the earthiness of them, the fundamental aspects of farming, countrylife, the need for food and air that we all share - perhaps it's that very basic bits of 'life' that binds us - that seems to tug at my soul year after year. Whatever -- it's THAT time of year again, and I am loving it!

I've taken a day off today to begin preparing for the art festival in a couple of weeks. I've got tons to frame and mat so my painting time is limited.

We've had tremendous thunderstorms everyday this weekend and more continuing through the week. Those farmers who still have standing grass to cut and bale will have to wait until next weekend before they're able to get into their fields.

Take care today!

3 comments:

Lorraine said...

Hard to believe farmers are bailing hay already. In VT it happens in the hottest days of July! We've not seen any new bales here yet this year in KY but we've had so much rain.

Your painting is lovely. It has such a summer feel to it -- the yellow greens of the foliage, the way the sun is shining on the whole scene, and the yellow brown of the hay. Glad C drove you around to capture all these scenes. And again, your description is pure poetry!

Hugs,
Lorraine

Joan said...

I love seeing hay bales in the fields too. I think it just brings us back to nature and the simplicity of life...although I know that baling hay isn't simple to do. Love the colors and the light on the roof of the barn. Well done!!!

Are you bringing work to display at the art festival? That's great and should be a lot of fun!!

Enjoy your day.

Teri said...

What a beautiful vibrant landscape Lin!! Love it.