Saturday, May 08, 2010

Still Life in Pots


Still Life in Pots
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Daily Practice
Journal

There are some color combinations that neither my scanner nor my camera seem to like. I have tried for two days to adjust this scan to better match the painting ... in the painting, the yellows and golds and even browns are far more subtle, and the entire work, though light with dark contrast, is not as bright .... This image comes the closest though.

It was an experiment in splattering again, but with a bit more control toward the finish. I want to play more with this idea. The 'splattering' for me helps me keep those wet in wet blends without getting too tight or covering them too much. The 'lost and found' edges that I've been playing with through the 'inspired by series' also was at work here - but looking at this yet again, I can see how I could have worked even more of those into the piece.

We've a ton of chores to do today ... so I'll be scarce - but I do hope to return to this type of exercise before the weekend is over.

Hope your day is wonderful!

4 comments:

Teri said...

I just LOVE this Lin! You are having so much fun with these new skills and are inspiring me to try more also.

Joan said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! I love the colors in the terra cotta pots, and your strong dark negative painting makes that one pot stand out so well.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

Claire M said...

This looks wonderful. I love the variety in the edges and the colors that you've chosen.

Lorraine said...

Well I love the colors even though I might not be seeing what you are seeing! And th detail is incredible given the "splashing" method. Can't wait until we can play with this.
Hugs,
Lorraine