Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Gas Light Building and Hay Bales

9" x 12"
Arches 140#CP

I've painted this building a long time ago covered in weeds so that only the roof was showing --- much the sight I see when I pass it from the road. The building and the haybales are on the road I use to reach my home. I had watched the grasses growing all spring, and waited and waited until the farmers cut and baled the hay. When C and I ventured out this weekend and saw they were baling, I knew I had to return for some more photos.

One farmer who lived across the road from this field and whose oral history I did many years ago, told us that the building used to house 'gas lights' for the area. I have no idea what that means, and unfortunately, he is no longer with us to ask, but the building still stands almost covered in grasses and volunteer shrubs. The hay is grown by a tenant farmer also living along the road, and each spring and fall, I eagerly await the fields to be dotted with these ochre and gold bundles.

C and I went for photos mid-day, and when we tried to return later that evening to capture some of those wonderful long evening shadows, rain was approaching (photo earlier), and that opportunity was lost. I expect when I return home this week, the bales will be in the farmer's barn.

The trip to the nursery with Arboretum guests was WONDERFUL -- with lots to see, too much to choose from, too much spent (LOL), and a divine lunch. Great fun and some new plants to try....

We're expecting rain again, and the weeds here at the Arboretum are growing faster than the zucchini -- and that's saying something! LOL

Have a super day!

3 comments:

Lorraine said...

Another beautiful scene -- love the sky and being able to "see" the details on the old building; and of course the round bales are so well done!

I remember reading about gas lights in British novels and Early American novels -- I think they were the old fashioned lantern light lights used before electricity. There was even an old song about the lamp lighter but it escapes me now. Also refers to lanterns, as such, I think.

Your trip sounds wonderful. What a great perk to your job. Glad you had an enjoyable day out.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Joan said...

Wonderful!!! I just love the field dotted with the hay bales. Your colors are so great in this!!!

We are expecting rain later today, but they have been saying that for days. Have a great day.

Teri said...

This is just gorgeous!!

Congrats on your sales and all the fun you had there.