Tuesday, June 08, 2010

My Beloved Roadsides with Wild Roses

Daily Practice
Journal

With all the rain and high temperatures we've been experiencing, the plant growth has been incredible! And with that same rain, the weather has kept many landscapers and highway department workers from being able to mount their mowers and remove some of the rampant 'weed' growth along the roadsides.

And mercy, have I enjoyed all that WILDFLOWER WILDNESS!

This fencepost, located along one of the rural roads in my county, was chock-full of wild roses, the red-brown seedheads of Rumex, the lacy dots of tiny daisies, and grasses upon grasses of all kinds. Not in this image, but further along the road, Queen Anne's Lace and orange Daylilies also add their beauty -- and I am in absolute heaven!

My dh shakes his head at me -- hayfields and ditch flowers --! My loves! LOL

We're off to take several vans of folks to a huge flower farm and lunch. We've invited the Arboretum volunteers who have been so incredibly generous of their time planting and harvesting the food for the hungry. It's our small way of saying 'thank you' .....

I hope to catch up tomorrow .... Meantime .. take a walk along the 'wild side' and smell those wild roses!

3 comments:

Lorraine said...

Beautiful colors and I love the way they play against each other. But oh the light -- fantastic!! And a lovely description of what it's like in your part of the world. We don't get out in the country enough and I love "seeing" it through your eyes.

Have a terrific day.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Teri said...

What a beautiful natural sight! So happy they can't cut them away. The guy just did out roadside cutting and i miss all the wild blooms.

Teresa said...

Lovely, colorful painting! And I'm so impressed that you know the names of all those wildflowers.... but of course.... you would!

How's Arby doing?