Friday, June 18, 2010

Oxford Hay Season


Oxford Hay Season
Originally uploaded by linfrye
9" x 12"
Arches 140#CP

The hay was gone from the fields when I got home yesterday, and already the new season of grasses has begun. A lush carpet of emerald green soread over the valleys and hills and replaced the tawny siennas and browns. It'll be another 4 months or so before I view the hay bales again.

We sent another 40 pounds of food to the food shelter yesterday. One volunteer offered us the opportunity to pick ripe, juicy, DELICIOUS plums from his trees, and so four of us followed him back to his farm for a 'pickin'! WOW! This season's rain and sun have been mighty beneficial to his fruit trees, and we came home with a cooler filled with bright red/purple orbs. The scent was intoxicating, and I probably ate my weight in plums!

I will be going out of town this weekend, and so last night was a marathon of activity -- laundry, packing, repacking, and rendering gallons of plum pulp to save for making preserves next week. WHEW!

I'll be scarce and will have to catch up with everyone on Sunday --- I hope you have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Teresa said...

This is gorgeous, Lin! I love your barn/fields/wildflowers/hay paintings!

Joan said...

I've been scrolling back and forth between this one and the last one you did of the hay bales and barns to see which one I like better. I just can't decide, because they are both so gorgeous.

Have a great weekend!!! Wish Charles a Happy Father's Day from me! Enjoy!!

Lorraine said...

What a great painting. My eye follows the beautiful hay bales, to the wonderful rustic buildings and to the gorgeous trees. Love it!
Have a good trip and enjoy!
Hugs,
Lorraine

Teri said...

Love those hay fields. They are just like we have here minus those wonderful barns/sheds in the background.