Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Brown Eyed Susans


Brown Eyed Susans
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Daily Pactice
Journal

The bright yellows and golds of the brown-eyed Susans (Rudbeckia hirta) are dancing in the garden despite the lack of rain and intense heat. This perennial (in some areas it is an annual) can reach heights of 12"-24" and tend to form wonderfully bright golden beds of rich color. The roots have been used as an astringent for sores and swelling and drops have been used for earaches. It has been reported that the roots have also been used in much the same way as purple cone flowers - for snake bite, headaches, to treat bronchitis, colds and other illnesses - as an immune-system booster.

The plantsmen are developing so many varieties of this plant that these, like purple cone flower, are an incredible addition to any garden.

The plants at the Arboretum are doing beautifully -- but mine at home, drought-stressed over the last few years - have become rather skimpy and sparse. At the field day nursery visits last week, I picked up a few new plants and gave them a new home -- but if we don't hve significant rain soon, even these won't make it, even with watering.

I rained here in Smithfield yesterday -- in fact my friend and I walked after work IN the drizzle -- wasn't too much though - we never got sodden. But in Oxford -- less than a quarter of an inch (.03) fell -- sigh. It's overcast this morning -- more rain dancing for sure.

5 comments:

Robyn Sinclair said...

Wonderful, spirited Brown Eyed Susans, Lin. I hope there is some rain on the way for you.

Teri said...

AH, one of my favorite flowers. These are gorgeous Lin. My are not quite open but I need to go paint them when they do.

Anonymous said...

Just lovely!

Lorraine said...

That lovely yellow again!! There are so many pretty yellow flowers and you have given us so many more!! I love the way your painting seems to sing this morning!

We had a very hard rain early this morning. So much so that the outdoor kitties had a peace pact going while waiting for breakfast and were all huddled up close to the front door. Even hiding under my car was not safe as the winds drove the rain all the way under and up the front steps. I'm sending it your way and they are too!!
Big hugs,
Lorraine

Joan said...

These yellow beauties do look like they are dancing!!! Lovely job!!!

I'll be checking your blog from time to time while I'm away in Venice, and I think I've found a way to post using a memory card reader...keep your fingers crossed. Ciao!