Friday, July 02, 2010

Inspired by My Peaches


Inspired by My Peaches
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Daily Practice
Journal

Day by day the summer moves into the maturity of incredible fruits and vegetables. Our diets add more and more produce as farmer's markets, truck stands and grocers bring in the weekly harvests that summer's heat produces.

Our own garden is no exception. We've been enjoying fresh, plump blueberries, and our peach trees, once spring pink and bee-filled, now bend in half with the awesome production of ripening peaches. The limbs are so filled that they virtually lie on the ground -- creating an arch of shade for napping kitties. The deer have ignored the fruit as it is still not yet ready to pick ... but soon ... soon ...

I splashed and splattered this painting with far more deliberation than some of my other 'inspired' pieces. What I'm learning, I think, is various methods of wet into wet, edge control and a bit of abstraction that gives a work more movement and spontanaeity.

I've found a few other artists I'm trying to study to see how they obtain similar results - fun - but equally challenging. And still, moving this splash and splatter to landscapes continues to give me one heck of a time! LOL I also find that making these types of paintings takes less drawing (if any) - so I'm finding I need to return a bit to my sketching if I am ever going to get better results with a pencil ... ah, my work is cut out for me.

We're in the throes of having our windows replaced - and when I got home yesterday there were workmen crawling all over the house and property, sawing, fitting, hammering, moving window after window. They've another 4 days of work and so do we -- once they're done, it's finding new window treatments, washing curtains and drapes, and of course, windows. Not exactly what I thought I'd be doing this long weekend -- but oh how nice the windows are looking. I'm expecting the new windows to cut our energy costs significantly.

Still no rain -- sigh ...maybe I'd better find a way to wash the car to encourge the clouds ...

Have a great one!

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

Your peaches are luscious looking -- they look ready to eat to me!! I bought some at the grocery yesterday to make peach salsa -- a summer treat. Love the sunny yellows moving into peachy orange colors against the green leaves. This is a beauty!

We SO need new windows too but alas, not his year.

Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Teri said...

Oh my goodness I just slurped all over my computer! They look so luscious and wonderful.