Saturday, July 03, 2010

Inspired by Queen Anne's Lace (with more deliberation)

9" x 12"
Arches 140#CP

You KNOW summer is here when the Queen Anne's Lace graces the roadsides with their white, lacy doilies. I pass clusters of these carrot-relatives and remember how one can take those dainty flower heads, dip them in a batter of flour, sugar and milk and fry them into a special treat! Their 'roots' are carrot-like and edible, but I never found one that was tender enough to consume.

But more than their edibility, I LOVE how they give the roadsides such as soft, old-fashioned look - like Grandmom's antimacassars on sofas of green.

The house is quiet today - windows are semi-done - but you'd think replacing 13 windows would bring on rain -- nope -- stubborn weather! LOL

We're planning to go to the Farmer's Market and enjoy the cooler temps we've been having .... and hopefully, get some time to paint.

Have a great Saturday!

3 comments:

Joan said...

I love the lacy look of this!! Nice contrast of the whites of the flowers against the darks! Lovely job!!!

We leave for Venice on July 14th and return on Sept. 1st. I'm still trying to figure out if I can post on my blog from an internet stop while we are away. I guess I won't know until I get there and try it. I don't have a laptop to bring, and don't really have the room for one anyway.

Have a great 4th of July weekend!!

Lorraine said...

WOW. I studied and studied this one. Love the delicate background colors and the deep dark roadside colors from which the gorgeous white Queen Anne's Lace springs up. The contrasts in this painting are deep and mysterious and glowing all at the same time. This is a terrific work of art and one which you should frame and sell. It would make great cards and prints for online also. BRAVO Lin.

Sorry no rain but it's better to wait until the windows are finished LOL.

Oops, I meant to go to Farmers Market early today too for tomatoes but forgot. Yikes; been on this computer all morning -- getting caught up on emails and links.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Lorraine said...

Forgot to say -- thanks for the edible flower lesson! I didn't know these were a carrot relative!
Hugs,
Lorraine