Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Lorraine and I


Lorraine and I
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Lorraine and I (I'm on the right with a bad hair day!) sporting our artwork T shirts and enjoying my visit to KY and our trip to a local crafts festival!

After 5 long years, I finally made it to KY to visit my dearest, close-as-a-sister friend, Lorraine.

Lorraine and I met almost 10 years ago on line when we both were involved with a particular group of collage and altered book artists. We met a few years later and have been 'best friends' ever since, Lorraine most often visiting here for Art in the Carolinas art classes. We've exchanged collages, altered books, journals, hand-made paper, marbled papears, fabrics, quilt pieces and Lord knows what else. We would chat monthly or so ... both our lives busy...and for me, with my work schedule, grand children and more, finding it harder and harder to break away.

But THIS year, I finally!!! made it KY -- and it couldn't have come at a more needed time for both of us.

During her last vist, I remember us sitting on my porch, watercolors in hand, each of us attempting to capture the tree bark on the sweetgum tree before us -- she taking weekly watercolor lessons, and me just starting out .... how incredible wonderful to spend five days with a 'sis' as we splashed, played, laughed, cried, remembered, visiting, toured, ate, and splashed paint some more.

One night her husband made the BEST home-made pizza and home-made strawberry ice cream I've ever tasted. On another, I met her art instructor and toured his home and his wife's incredible garden. On another I met Lorraine's art friend as we chatted about art. We walked, visited the UK Arboretum, ate wonderful food, inbibed tons of delicious coffee, nibbled on farmer's market berries and corn.

Her kitties treated me as if they'd known me forever--with pets and nose 'kisses' and purrs (on their part! LOL). And I spend most quiet moments exploring Lorraine's stupendous home filled with the most sumptuous artwork, blown glass, kittie plates and cups and things, and some of our earlier collage and quilt work.

It was a stupendous time -- and from the bottom of my heart -- THANK YOU, LORRAINE -- for one magnificent, magical, fun-packed time!

May the next time be sooner than five years!! LOL

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

Oh what a lovely summary of our time together. It was such a joy to have you here in KY and the only thing that would have made it better would have been to have triple the time to spend painting, exploring KY, seeing even more art, and just plain catching up and sharing. You have inspired me to resume painting and to start blogging again. You can bet I'll be saving up for more classes this fall in Raleigh!

Thank you for taking the time to come and for teaching me so many new techniques and for all the fun and laughter and more importantly your friendship.

To all: if you don't have a best friend/soul sister, start looking for one right now -- they are one of the best things about life and I am very happy to have Lin in mine.
Big hugs,
Lorraine

Lorraine said...

And what Lin didn't say is that those gorgeous t-shirts we are wearing are her original artwork designs available on Zazzle. (Go here: http://zazzle.com/linfrye

She has some really gorgeous designs out there and I'd love to be able to buy them all! So take a look if you haven't recently. She's been adding and will be adding more soon.
Lorraine