Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Morning Glory and Sweet Autumn Clematis

Daily Practice
Journal Size

Thank you all for your most generous, thoughtful and kind well wishes ..... Surgery went well, and this morning, my eye is still a bit foggy - something expected. It should be clearing by tomorrow - and I should, by then, be able to tell how much I will be able to see. My eye doctor and I discussed lens implants, and I opted for a 'near vision' improvement so I could see better close-up .... which means I will probably have to have bi-focals to drive .... not a bad option, in my opinion ... LOL I won't be able to be fitted for these until both eyes fully recover - probably after a few weeks. Meanwhile, I won't know until tomorrow how well I can see to drive -- I expect I'll be able to do so using my left eye - adjusted for more distant vision. It boggles my mind to think of such incredible medical breakthroughs!

I started this painting over the weekend from a photo I took of a corner of my garden. The sweet autumn clematis is in full bloom, and those midnight blue/purple morning glories have found a way to wind themselves around and through the other vine. I'm not very happy with the way this turned out - I think it needs some darkening, the morning glories need shape improvement and all of it needs adjustments in composition. What I like about it though is the soft background and overall color scheme...... I see another attempt in my future! LOL

I might mention that if you've never grown sweet autumn clematis, you may want to give that robust plant a try. Last year, the entire vine was skeletonized by hordes of cucumber beetles -- not once, but TWICE, and yet grew back to full size, blooming three times! This year, the vine is as vigorous as ever -- with the sweetest fragrance ... so easy to grow -- just give it lots of vertical space to climb!

It's raining and the garden is rejoicing! It'll be a day of rest today ....

Again, my humble thanks for your kindness ...

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

Lovely and almost botanical looking. Love the shades of green and all the different shapes.

Now I get it about the eyes. One for each purpose!! Yup, medical technology has grown leaps and bounds -- now, if a cure for the common cold, sinus infections, and cancer could be found -- I'd be happy!

Big hugs and rest up.
Lorraine